Friday, April 11, 2014

Fish Fry --- My Son's Fave!!!!

My Son, who is 10 now is always exploring with different palates and he has ONE exotic Palate :)!!   Totally after yours truly :)!!
Come Sunday night, he always has a menu ready for me for the upcoming week! I religiously buy the required  groceries and indulge him!!   This week, my hubby dear (who hates fish!) has been travelling and he was ecstatic to choose fish over one of the weekdays...especially Friday, so he can enjoy without being stressed about being rushed to finish his dinner and get on with other activities/go to bed early etc.  This morning, on his way to school,  he very sweetly asked my preference, keeping my schedule in mind, asked what fish:   preparation will be easy on me, will be not too spicy (heat wise), but yet have a good dimension to it and so on!  I must say, I have some foodie on hand!  I told him not to worry and would whip up something easy on me and great on his palate!!  
So this is what I came up with... no biggie recipe to it, I simply opened my spice cabinet and doused a variety of spice powders on the plain looking tilapia, drizzled some lemon and oil, and viola....  I had a son-pleasing entree!  Here's formalizing my recipe and giving it some structure...
Ingredients:
2 large fillets of Tilapia (fresh please... I have a fetish for fresh fish... I buy it only on the day of!)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp canola oil and 1/4 cup more to fry
2 tsp each of Coriander powder, Cayenne pepper powder and Garam Masala Powder (if you must, some Indian Curry powder)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/4 cup Bisquick pancake mix (my secret to a perfect crust)
How to Proceed:

  • Mix all the ingredients except the fish and the Bisquick mix in a glass bowl, and place the fillets in it and rub the marinade in it and marinate it for 20 minutes tops! Don't over marinate it as the lemon juice tends to cook it!
  • In a platter, spread the Bisquick flour, and dredge the fish generously on both sides. 
  • Meanwhile, heat up a saute pan, add 1 tbsp oil.  Once the oil is heated, gently slide the fish in and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until the thickest part is cooked through.  Gently, test it with a fork, and if the flesh is white and flaky, it is done!!!!!
  • Do not over cook it, will get rubbery.
  • Flip it and cook on the other side for 3 minutes, drizzle 1 tbsp. oil before you flip. 
  • Once, both sides are cooked and browned to perfection, transfer it to a platter, and enjoy it garnished with a generous drizzle of lemon juice, lemon wedges and sprigs of cilantro!!!    Bon Apitito!!  

Some pictures of the fish being marinated and fried and plated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment